Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I've been Wonk'd people... Wonk'd!!

So I am running errands over the noon hour and I after I run these errands, I jump in the drive through at McDonald's... and since drive throughs are never quick over the noon hour... I start gathering up all the garbage that is in the front seat of my car... as I am rummaging through all of the trash, I come across a Nerds candy box... (and I chuckled a bit because of course... Katie has all the nerd cards.) But then I see it on the front of the cover:

"Over a Million Prizes!"

Could it be that I could have won something from Jake's Nerds Box and was about to throw it away? So I examine the box thinking to myself, "nobody ever wins on these things..." My skepticism creeps up as I look at the back of the box and see an 8 digit computer generated code on the back and I think: "Sure, you have to log on to some website to see if you won... but before you can do that... you have to give them all of your personal information and basically sell your identity to find out if you won... and you didn't... but you gave them all that information anyway... and then about a few weeks later, you get no less than a million calls from telemarketers because your enrollment on this website has somehow pre-empted your call to the national do-not-call list and you unknowingly signed back up all because you were curious to see if you had won." (Yes, I did think all of that.)

But then: I glance through the two holes at the top of the box and I see writing... Hmmmm.... *one eyebrow raised* (more skepticism) rules and regulations that state that the game is valid in all 50 states including Puerto Rico and Guam... EXCEPT Minnesota no doubt...

And then I see it: YOU'VE BEEN WONK'd !

I WON! I WON!

What did I win??? Second Prize Winner!!! AND the company is in of ALL places MINNESOTA! HOORAYY! Not Canada or Texas... But Minnesota! I am so rich! I never have to work another day in my life again! Wait. If first place is a Million Dollars then Second place must be $500,000! So I scour the box and piece together the torn package to find out that I won:

$1.10.

WHAT???

A MEASLEY one dollar and 10 cents.

I feel like Ralphy in the "Christmas Story" when his Annie Decoder decodes a message that says"don't forget to drink your ovaltine."
To pour salt on the wound... I only had until 4/8/05 to claim my prize.

All I can say is that I am both crushed and grateful at the same time. Crushed that I can't claim my $1.10 and Grateful that I didn't win the Grand Prize... That.would.have.sucked.

I've been Wonk'd alright.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

huh what, your stinking fancy haloscan, hollowscan, harposcam commenting thingamagiggy went down. Good ol minnesotian workmanship there huh?

4:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home