Monday, June 20, 2005

Building Memories.

Camping was on the agenda this weekend... and let me tell you, there is nothing better than spending Father's Day weekend with the family camping until our hearts were content. Sydney went down with the kids on Thursday afternoon... because of work and school, I couldn't join them until Friday evening. The plan was to stay until Saturday morning and then leave... but on Saturday morning, Sydney asked me if I was all camped out and I said, "I felt like I just got here..." So, we decided to stay another day. Saturday was spent going down the water slide at the pool acrossed the street from the campground... there was not a moment of down time; pushing kids on the swings and playing tag occurred every 5 minutes, from a dad's perspective, and what seemed like every TWO HOURS, from a little kid's perspective. Hot dogs were cooked, balls were tossed, brats were scarfed down, croquet was played, trail mix was eaten, campfires were enjoyed, S'mores were made, and lightening bugs were spotted... Around 9 pm, when the kids crawled into their sleeping bags, it took no longer than 2 minute (tops) for them to fall asleep. It's amazing how a little fresh air will wear you out. We got back home on Sunday afternoon and I cleaned the garage as I packed the camping equipment away... I then spent the afternoon, trimming and mowing the lawn. At about 6 o'clock, I finally finished and Jake and I jumped on the trampoline with the sprinkler going underneath it. As I was finishing mowing the acreage in back, Jake came out and asked when I was going to be done mowing... and I said, "in about an hour bud." He immediately said, "I will wait here (on this cement slab) until you get done." And he sat down and for the next hour watched his dad finish going around in circles on the lawn mower. As I was mowing, and I saw him sitting there with longing eyes... it became apparent to me how much this little boy loves his dad. At that moment, I said a quick prayer thanking the Lord for giving me Jake. The importance of spending time together was never more clear than at that moment. It really was a great Father's Day weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home