Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Marketing Jingles... "they just don't make them like they used too"

I was thinking about marketing jingles on my way to work this morning... (comercials in general really.) It's funny how other people's blogs get you thinking about things. Amanda Sue of Upheaval got me thinking about this with her post "fools like us" because, of course, I also am a sucker for advertising.

Do you recall the jingles of the olden days?

"Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun."

or

"Big Mac, fillet-a-fish, quarter pounder, frenchfries.
Icey coke, thich shakes, sundays and apple pie."

Marketing people, we want discriptions. Imagery. Make us want to buy it. Sing me a song about your product so I can hum the tune in the car on the way to work. Impregnate your product so deep in my mind that it drives me crazy. Twenty years later, I want to recall your jingle with a nostalgic perspective.

"I'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company... It's the reealll thiiiing baaaby."

Currently I can't think of one jingle or comercial that really sticks in my mind... accept for one: remember that volkswagen jetta comercial a few years back that everything was happening to the same beat? "Don, don, don. Don, don, don..." Everytime that comercial came on... it made me what to go to the refridgerator and get a coke just so, I too, could do things in the same syncopated rhythm. Sydney would always laugh at me... but I cared less, because I was enjoying life and it was all because of a comercial... (at that moment anyway.) Pure genius in terms of marketing. There is truth to the saying, "they just don't make them like they used too."

Listen to me... At age 32, I am like that old man rocking on the porch saying, "Back in my day..." (raspy voice and all.)

Someone back me up on this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home