Monday, April 18, 2005

Thinking about.... and no we are not crazy...

I have been to the edge... and it was not pretty.

So, we recieved a few questions about where we were on Friday and to be truthful about our disappearance... we went to a Home School Conference. Yes, Sydney and I are contemplating this leap... but before I get ripped a new butt hole about socialization and so on and so forth... let me set the record straight about why we are considering it.

1st... We are not considering home schooling because we wish to shelter our kids from the "evils of society." As I sat in this conference, it was so apparent that about 70% of these strange, strange people had some sort of inferiority complex as a result of something that happened to them in their formative years and now were seeking to keep this same thing from happening to their precious, nerdy, little kids. (I know I sound judgemental here... but trust me when I tell you that I can't count the number of times the hair raised on the back of my neck this weekend.) All these goofy looking adults with their kids wearing home made clothes... I felt like I was in the movie "Footloose" and Ariel's Dad was preaching to me about home schooling (and that people shouldn't listen to Quiet Riot or Dance... or whatever else that might be wrong with the world today.) I seriously felt like I was attending a Conservative Baptist convention on the how we should separate ourselves from the world... (Which is completely unbiblical as we are told, "to be in the world, not of it...") Before any of the conservative Baptist people out there go off on me because I have indicated that you are of a really extreme nature... let me clarify: You Are. I grew up in a conservative Baptist home and my Dad was a Conservative Baptist Pastor... Trust me when I tell you that I understand the denomination and it's doctrine... legalism is not for me... (Okay, now you can go off on me.) Now don't get me wrong, I am all for teaching my kids Christian values... and I understand the importance of it... but come on people! Are you kidding me?? (BTW, what is for me is a personal relationship with Christ and the understanding of God's Grace.) Anyway, let's just say that Sydney and I agree.

Moving on... We are thinking about home schooling because our school is going to implement an all day, every day Kindergarten program that will cost each family $1,500.00 per student. Jake has not learned anything in Kindergarten this year exept to learn how to write his letters. Let me clarify... Jake is not "gifted" or anything else... he is just a regular kid... however, he is the only one in his class that can read. Not short sentences... but books. In kindergarten he has learned what sounds letters make (which he already knew) and they want all the kindergarteners to be able to recognize about 10 words by the end of the year... To put it in simple terms... Jake is bored. AND to top it all off, the first half of first grade will be spent learning how to read... we are worried that Jake will lose interest in school because he isn't learing anything he doesn't already know. Furthermore, there is no way that we are going to pay $1,500 for Micker Mackers to go to kindergarten and try to learn how to read when all it takes is a $10.00 Leap Frog video and a little time.

3rd... We aren not thinking about home schooling because, as some presenter at the conference put it, "You can save so much money by not having to buy your kids designer clothes." *One eyebrow raises* What??

In terms of the socialization factor... Sydney and I have the same concerns... so, if we choose this route... we will definately be aware of this and do everything we can to prevent this... but if you knew Sydney and I... we are a couple of the most social people you would know... or so we have been told. Anyway, to make a very long weekend short, Sydney and I looked over some curriculum and are thinking seriously in this direction.

Now, let's hear the comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home