Thursday, July 21, 2005

FRIENDS, Fellows, Countrymen, and Bloggers... lend me your ears....

So, the other day I get this comment left by "Deals" who is new to the blogosphere. She was having a discussion with Jes at lunch about the identities of people who comment on blog postings. Anyway, she asked Jes who "Ben" was, and Jes told her that I was a friend of a friend... and that, she did know that “Ben” wasn’t my real name. Which is in all reality is... well... true. We met after Eddie discovered my blog and left a comment. I started reading Posted Note and from there I tuned into Katie at Kpinion... and then eventually discovered Just Say Jes. So what she is saying is quite true... but it got me thinking... at what point does one make the leap from a total and complete stranger to a friend? I have found that over the last year, I have met some people that I would consider really close friends. Some of which are located on the right hand side of my blog. This list contains people I would consider aquaintences, some I would consider friends, some I would consider close friends and some I don't really know much about at all. So in jest, I confronted my friend Jes about me being a "friend of a friend" (cause friends can joke about this sort of thing...) and well... our conversation says it all:

"Ben" - "Heard you were talking about "My Identity." And that I am just a friend of a friend. ;) And you don't know much about me... lol. We're not friends? ;)"

Jes - "Hey. I was recently talking about you. But to who? I don't remember. Someone asked if I actually knew you. Since I don't actually physically know you, OBVIOUSLY i said no. But, I did say that if you lived in Texas, you would TOTALLY be our friend, and we would TOTALLY hang out with you, because we like you. Did you hear that I said THAT?!?"

"Ben" - "You were talking with "Deals" And no... she didn't tell me that you said that if I lived in texas that we would TOTALLY be friends... lol. So, unless we move to Texas, we can't be friends? lol. Eddie's my friend and I don't live in Texas... and Katie is my Friend and I don't live in Texas... which brings up a great discussion... do you have to actually meet in person to be someone's friend... or know them? I will ponder that one... I feel a post coming on..."

to which Jes responds... "by "Friend" i meant that we would totally hang out. of course i think of you as my friend. why else would i read your blog, and comment, and link to you on my site, and make fun of you? it is SO OBVIOUS that you are my friend. :)"

It is OBVIOUS that we have become friends. So to you my friends:

Eddie
Katie
Jes
Hula Dula
Amanda Sue
Crazy4acop
AF
Genuine
JCol
Steve
JLR
Jenniy
Msthang
FaithinFlorida and OakofLife
Squareslant
Beyonka

(...and to those I don't know quite as well...)

I send a heartfelt thanks... you bring a bright spot to my day. Thanks

It's a good feeling to start each morning with a cup of coffee and a conversation with a few of my friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home