Monday, August 01, 2005

God even loves people with nasty teeth...

We arrived in Williamsburg Kentucky on Sunday Night... Upon arriving, we had an opportunity to prepare for the next week... among the preparation for the next week was listening to the history of the people of the Appalachian Mountains and why they find themselves in such poor economic conditions. From what I gathered, Appalachia (pronounced apple at cha) was populated by immigrants who would arrive from countries such as Ireland and Scottland. As they got off the boat, immediately someone from the "mother" country would greet them with a warm welcome and then inform them that they needed to fill out some paperwork... that they would help them out by opening a bank account for them and loading their belongings onto a wagon... promising to be back in a few minutes... only to disappear forever. From the moment they stepped foot off of the boat, they were "taken" for all they had. With a need to survive, they began stealing and what not, only to be caught and put in debtor's prison. Now back then, there was no separation of criminals and all of the thieves were put into the same prison as rapists and murderers. Around that time, the plantation owners of the South decided to make a deal with the wardens of the prisons, offering to pay off the debts of these less violent prisoners. This not only provided them with workers for their plantation, but it also helped the overcrowded jails. Essentially, these people were sold into slavery. The prisoners found themselves in a difficult situation, between staying in the south or going up north only to be captured again... so they chose to go west to the Appalachian Mountains and hide. They were very successful; however, they became a very secluded people as a result. They would go into the mountains and claim property by saying, "I claim this land from this ridge to that ridge to that ridge." And that was their property. Then in the early nineteen hundreds, coal was discovered in "them thar parts" and rich men came in and asked them if they would be willing to sell the trees on their land for $500.00 and a new horse and some other odds and ends. Not being literate and thinking this was a pretty good deal, they found themselves putting an "X" on the piece of paper only to later find out they had signed away the rights to their land. So, they once again got burned. As a result, they have not only become very poor, but also a very distrusting culture. Enter present day: World Servants has partnered with Good Soil Ministries. These two organizations have attempted to rebuild trust and try and begin to reach these people for Christ. While they have been in the region for over 10 years, people are still pretty skeptical; however, showing God's love to bridge the gap is beginning to re-establish this trust. Which brings us to last Sunday, as we sat in a room... getting ready to help these people yet again.

Through our actions, we were there to continue building trust in the community by serving the people of Jellico Tennessee. It was a pretty interesting week which began with our team working on two projects. One fellow we helped was Ansel Marlow. He is an 89 year old man that is slowly losing his sight. He lives in a run down trailer which he is confined to because he can't maneuver the steps that lead from his porch. It was our job to build a handicap accessible ramp which would allow him to leave his home when the need arises. With the heat index at 105, half of our group spent Monday and Tuesday building this ramp. The other half was in charge of building a walkway for a Parent/Child Resource center. They had two storage sheds that were approximately 2 feet off the ground; it continues to be flooded directly in front of these buildings rendering it impossible to access them after frequent rainstorms. So, we built a walkway/deck from both of these sheds to the main building. On Monday, we took a break in the afternoon, and we canvassed the town of Jellico handing out invitations to a picnic that was to be held in veteran's park in the center of town on Thursday Night. We also, gave out really nice heavy duty flashlights (with batteries) and explained to them that we were trying to be a light to their community as we showed God's Love by serving them. Very much outside of my comfort zone... approaching people I don't know. Many of the houses/trailers that we approached, were so run down that we thought that nobody could possibly live there... but to our dismay, as we knocked on these rickety, dilapidated old buildings, people would answer the door. Skittish and distrusting as they peeked out the crack as they opened their doors.... they were very wary. However, as we explained them who we where and why we were in their community, toothless smiles began to spread across their faces and their defenses were immediately dropped and they began to talk with us northerners about who they were and the struggles they were dealing with. Remarkable what a little love will do to brighten people's days. Tuesday, we continued to work at the Parent/Child Resource center and Ansel Marlow's house. Wednesday, was a day off. And we went whitewater rafting down the Cumberland river. While it was fun, I was expecting the rapids to be... how shall I say this... more rapidy? So, while I had fun, my life was never at risk and my adrenaline stayed at a minimum level. At the business's store, there was a t-shirt that said, "Paddle faster... I hear Banjo Music." Which I thought was pretty funny... and to anyone who has seen the movie deliverance, it tends to make you chuckle; however, that night we went to Church (because the Bible belt still has Wednesday night Church Service) and we were reminded that God made the Banjo... and there was a guy there strumming for the Lord and boy could he play. Needless to say, it was pretty cool.

Anyway, Thursday rolled around and we began two new projects which consisted of going up into the mountains and helping a family that can be described as nothing less than a family of hillbillies... mountain men. No teeth, scraggly hair... no money... living in rugged buildings that resembled houses and trailers. Our projects were to paint a house made out of particle board and put tin skirting around a trailer into which one of the sons were going to move. Incest is rampant in those parts and the mother was living in a house up the hill away from one of her sons and husband protecting their retarded daughter from being raped by them. Sad, situation. Over the next two days, we had an opportunity to fix their houses and show them that people care. Travis, who was 24... was as introverted as an introvert could be. As we started to fix and paint his house that morning he came out onto his porch and just sat there and stared at the ground. I asked him a few questions, to which he said nothing… then I noticed the fishing poles on the porch and asked him “if he likes to fish.” It was like opening the flood gates of the Hoover Dam as he began to talk about where the fishing holes were and the adventures he had had. After talking for sometime, he disappeared and headed into the village to pay his phone bill. (I too found it hard to believe that these shacks had phones… but they did.) Then after he returned I was painting the back of his house and he came around back and just stood there… So, I asked him about Nascar… since it seems like every southerner is into nascar… but he said he didn’t like it. I asked him if he like sports and he said, that he didn’t like sports… to which my response was, “Gotcha… so you’re just into hunting and fishing huh?” This statement started another 45 minute conversation about what they hunt verses what we hunt and overall, it was an enjoyable conversation. We ended work at 2:30 that day as we had to get back to Jellico for the Picnic. Before we left, we invited them down off the mountain for some food and entertainment.

That night, the picnic was a HUGE success and Steven Meeks who heads up the “Good Soil Ministries” (Local Ministry), said that this was the biggest turnout they had ever had. Furthermore, two of the family members we had just worked for that day, came down to the picnic… I was told that this was unusual, because very rarely do mountain folk come out of the mountains… The night consisted of people cooking hamburger’s and hot dogs, we brought 5 huge tubs of shampoo and soaps and tooth paste and tooth brushes to hand out… all necessities of which few could afford. We had some of our youth playing games with the kids, some using bubbles and sidewalk chalk, some doing face painting. We also had a very cool ministry in which we repaired little kids’ and teenagers’ bikes. Our church went down there last year and maybe repaired 2 kids’ bikes the night of the picnic. This year, we fixed between 50 and 60 bikes… it was like wading through a sea of bikes. There were bikes everywhere. I used to work in a Bicycle shop in college and although I hadn’t worked on a bike in 11 years, fixing bikes is kind of like riding them… you never forget. So as I walked through this battle field of injured and broken down bikes, I began to direct and lead with the determination of a 4 star general. Barking out orders as I moved from Bike to Bike while I was fixing two bikes simultaneously myself. It was ultimately the highlight of my trip as we were able to bring joy to these little kids by getting their bikes back on the road. We started fixing the first bike at about 5:30 and didn’t finish fixing our last bike until 9:50. We replaced pedals, seats, tires, tubes, chains and break pads… I fixed and adjusted shifting mechanisms and gears… We brought a huge tub of brand new supplies and we worked until we ran out of stuff. A local gentleman that had some experience fixing bikes also jumped in to help us. By the end of the night, my shirt was soaked in sweat… but as we drove away, little kids were riding their bikes all over the parking lot for the first time (for some) in a year or so. It warmed my heart… the joy that serving brings is undeniable. I am still on a high.

Friday came all too soon and we finished the skirting around the trailer and added a second coat of paint to the particle board house. We finished at about 1 pm and after packing our things, we said a quick prayer with the family we were leaving. As we left, one of the guys humbly said, “It’s like it’s Christmas and it’s not even December. Thanks.” That sentiment alone, made it all well worth the effort. When I got back to town, I had chance to meet up with my Uncle Tom for the afternoon. He drove 5 hours from Huntsville, Alabama to come and see me. I haven’t seen him since our wedding and it was great to talk with him. Talk about a man who has had a rough life… He has been married to a wife that has been both bipolar and depressed starting about two years after they got married. She refuses to take medicine as she feels like this is not a “Christian” thing to do because she is relying on medicine rather than God. Their kids have been a casualty of this environment and all of them have refused to follow the Lord, one even getting involved with Wicca and Witch Craft. (She, by the way is less than a year older than me; however, looks like she is in her mid-forties… I saw pictures and all I can say is: Not a pretty sight.) Anyway, sitting in front of me was a 67 year old man that by the world’s standards was a success in terms of Career… but by his standards was a failure in terms of family. I had a chance to ask him where his Joy in life comes from and his response was: “Ben”… I am not sure if I can really answer that question… right now I have no joy. Here sat my favorite uncle, hat in hand… humble and broken after 37 years of marriage. My response was, “Uncle Tom, I just want you to know that I hold you up in high regard. You are my favorite uncle and I know that you have done your best to ensure that you stay committed to your marriage and that your kids had the proper Christian foundation. I have no idea why the Lord allows some people to be in certain situations, but for whatever reason, you are there. I just want you to know that I have a great deal of respect for you and it speaks depths about the type of character you have.” His whole demeanor changed as I said this and his quiet response was, “ Thanks. You don’t know how much it means to hear someone say that.” Overall, it was a time of encouragement for my Uncle as well.

I found that I traveled to Jellico Tennessee to help people out… only to find myself sitting across from my uncle… helping him through a tough time with a little encouragement. As I walked away from my Uncle's Van, my only thought was:

"Crazy how the Lord works."

(P.S. Pictures will come at another time... I have to get a CD from the person that came and took all the pictures. I have none at this time.)

Update: My dad sent me this email today.

Ben-

Here is a conversation I had with Jacob on Sunday morning as he was eating breakfast ("MJ" had not yet gotten up):

Jacob said, " I wish my Dad was here."
Grandpa: "Jacob, do you know what your Dad will be doing while he is away?"
Jacob: "He is building homes for people who don't have homes to live in."
Grandpa: "That's right . . . . . . . .
Grandpa: "...it would be good to have Dad here, but what he is doing is important ... Jesus would want him to be there helping those people."
Jacob who was then silent for a bit, clearly giving some thought to our conversation said: "Grandpa, I want to be just like my Dad when I grow up!"

What a special little boy!! It was so good to have Sydney/Jacob/"MJ"/Leah and the "next arrival" spend time with us.

Have a great week!

Tell me that's not a good thing to hear. Kind of made my day. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Ben HaloScan is down and I want to read comment #6. FIX IT. I'm smiling as I say that.

3:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home