Friday, September 23, 2005

The sum of a life spent...

The sum of one's life...

Yesterday I read a post over at Hula Doula's place called the Beaded Purse that really got me thinking. What will sum up my life? The fact that I will be gone someday boggles my mind. (What? The world won't stop when I leave? Crazy thought.) But when I do leave this world, how will my life be summed up by the people that love me? For sure they will talk about:

My passion for the Green Bay Packers...
A quick wit with humor always springing from my lips.
My love of the Sydney and the kids...

Different people will sum up my life differently depending on the level and depth they knew me.

Of course one hope's they don't sum up your life negatively and that they do see what meant the most to you...

For example:

Will my kids remember that I am quick to anger? Will they say that I was great when I was in a good mood, but watch out when he was serious... because he would become angry easier. Will they remember how much I love them? Will they sum up my life as a Dad who took the time to be goofy with them?

Will co-workers be able to add to this sum of a life spent by saying that he was a man of principle. He was a God-fearing man that wore his faith on his sleeve, or will he say that he was a man that was a crab depending on the day?

Sydney... how will the one who knows me the best sum up my life? Will she reflect on my distant character. Will she understand what she means to me and how blessed I was to be her husband? Or will she too sum up my life as man whose eyes were quick to burn with fire. Quick to anger and slow to love?

I know how I would sum up my life:

A man with faults... who loved the Lord. Who continually strove to improve... A guy who hurt his family at times... but was humble enough to ask for forgiveness. A man who was not even close to perfect. A guy who got stressed out easily about money and providing for his family. Someone, who continued to challenge himself through personal goals. A man that easily got bored with the routine of life. A man who loved enjoying life... his wife, his kids... watching the Packers... full of humor but at times quick to anger.

A man with faults... but saved by grace none-the-less.

The good thing people...? There's still time to change the sum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home