Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Breakin' the Law...

Stepping out of the shower yesterday... I remembered.

"I am supposed to be in Minneapolis/St. Paul today."

I hate that feeling... it's 6:50, my meeting is at 10:00 and it takes about 3 hours to get to downtown St. Paul. That's a miserable feeling... BUT, if I hurried, I could make it... so I logged on to my email account to get the driving instructions... and it doesn't work. For some reason the webbased Microsoft Outlook wouldn't work yesterday... SO, I had to drive 23 miles into work and then 23 miles back in the same direction... just to get some lousy driving instructions... when I could have printed them off at home... but, what can you do?

So I took off from work at 7:46 and I arrived at the meeting at 10:30... pretty good time. Considering I had to go about 45 miles out of my way.

Okay, I admit it... I was flying down some back roads at about 85-90 miles an hour to make up some time... which brings me to the central theme of this post... Why is it that we can justify speeding, but not other sins? Now 85-90 miles per hour is an extreme I realize and there is no gray area... but of course I told Sydney that I was going to race down some back roads and she said, "Well, be safe and don't get caught." To which my response was, "Cause if you don't get caught then it's not wrong." We both laughed as I continued to speed. So I know I was wrong... but I had to get to a meeting... and I should have gone the speed limit... but somehow I am not really convicted about this. Why is that?

But back to my speeding question... let's say it is not 85-90 miles per hour... but it is only 71 (or 72) in a 65 mile an hour zone. Is it wrong? I mean, we all know that the police officer is going to give us a 7-8 mile per hour cushion... so is it okay to knowingly drive that fast when the law says 65 miles an hour? Is it kind of like ignoring those obscure laws on the books that every state has... like you can't chew gum while skipping on the sidewalk on the 3rd Sunday of every month? If you do, are you really breaking the law? Do some laws become obsolete if they are never inforced, thereby making alright to break them?

This is what is going through my head this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home