Saturday, January 21, 2006

I don't know about you...

But I need to get back on the straight and narrow... "For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it"; I don't know about you, but I don't want to be one of "the many." It's not as if I am living a life that is steeped in sin... but I realize that even this statement is simply just my way of justifying my current state. If I have to be transparent, I am not actively choosing to follow Him daily.

I am just living. Existing.

It's frustrating.

So how does one enter through the narrow gate? How does one NOT be consumed by life and therefore become one of the many?

I am not arguing that one’s life has to be full of works; of course, works do not save you... but in the same breath, one has to take steps toward living a life that is honoring to God. You must take actions to ensure that you are growing. Of course we are saved by grace, but if you don't make a conscious choice to follow His instructions... then are you really choosing Him? There is a certain level of obedience that must occur if we are to be true followers of Christ. In other words, while there is nothing to we can do to earn our salvation; our actions do matter. I was raised under the doctrine of "once saved, always saved." But the older I got the more I am not sure I agree with this thought process. This seems to imply that once you ask the Lord to forgive you of your sins... you can pretty much live your life however you want and there is no condemnation for any of your actions. For the first 22 years of my life, I was pretty much living a life that reflected this. Again, I don't believe that this idea of “once saved, always saved” is accurate. For example, can one choose to walk away from Christ even after you have made the commitment to live for Him? Can you fall back into a sinful lifestyle and, as a result, in the end… fall short of being eligible for God’s grace? Romans 8:1 says, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. But what does "for those who are in Christ Jesus" really mean." I believe that it means that if you believe that Jesus, God’s Son, died for your sins and you ask him to forgive you for your sins that you will be saved… But is this all there is? Can you just say the words and that is good enough? Or does being "in Christ Jesus" also mean that as a result of your decision to follow Him that will you also be obedient? If you have a humbling moment where you say a prayer and you truly ask for forgiveness, but then later on, you choose to live a life that is contradictory to God’s word… Are you truly saved? Or will you come before the Lord on the day of judgment and as a result of the lifestyle you have chosen, will He say: “Depart from me, I never knew you.” (Matthew 7:23) If I am being completely honest, this thought scares the crap out of me.

So, what does it mean to have the Lord know you? Of course He knows everything about us… but what does it truly mean to know the Lord? I believe that it means to have a relationship with Him and follow His commands. If we seek Him, we will find Him and we will know Him. I believe that being a Christian is a daily thing… I believe that we need to choose to follow Him moment by moment… and we need to choose to be obedient. Without a doubt, we are saved by grace… but I also believe that this precious gift comes as a result of our decision to actively choose Him; furthermore, while our actions do not save us, they will be evident as a result of choosing to follow Him. As long as you are seeking His will for your life and you are daily choosing Him, then my thoughts are: it doesn’t matter if you believe that “once you are saved, you are always saved” or not; what matters is that you have a personal relationship with Him and that He knows you.

After working through this whole passage I don’t mean to imply that after making this choice to follow Him, that we are going to be perfect. Of course we will not be. We will still fail at times… we will still sin. But if we are “in Christ Jesus” then we will not be condemned.

The tough part about this is that I know that I am not choosing Him daily… and I need to make this change… I need to be in His word… I need to be in a daily relationship with Him so He knows me and I know Him. It is definitely a challenge for all of us. Our actions do matter… it is clear that we first need to ask for forgiveness, repent (or flee from our evil ways) and then we need to do the will of the Father.

13 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

15 Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

21 Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Coming full circle... living life is more then merely existing. I need to think about how I am living my life and whether I am honoring Him in everything I do. Am I doing the will of the Father?

I don't know about you... but for me...change is coming.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog. Please keep writing.

9:44 PM

 
Blogger Charlyn said...

The winds of change have been blowing for me too Ben. This year has started out great with God drawing me to be nearer to Him, to be in His word daily, and to daily live my life for Him. It has been wonderful. My struggle now, what if my family doesn't feel the same way? Very difficult!!

As for losing your salvation, I don't believe it is possible. I feel that Christ's blood is good enough for all sin, big or small. If we were able to lose our salvation, we could lose it on a daily basis just by coveting or by lying, etc. Once saved always saved. I know people who have accepted Christ, but never walked with Him. It is very sad, but I'm confident God will bring them to their knees at some point!

Look forward to the changes God has for you!!

6:23 PM

 
Blogger chirky said...

ben, it's like you are in my brain. i've been thinking along the same lines lately. i have felt so complacent recently, but my discipline shall be renewed. loved this post.

8:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say...welcome to my brain!

11:21 PM

 
Blogger Katie said...

Ben you are a teacher, a brother, and a friend, but most of all a honest picture of a child saved by grace who loves his Father in such a way he desires to not just live through Him but FOR Him.

Wonderful words that encouraged and challenged me this morning.

Thank you for writing this.

8:46 AM

 
Blogger Holly said...

Ben
Amen to what you say. I was at a conference this weekend and I agree with you and will state that I believe that Once saved Always saved is a farce. The teacher, David Kirkwood (www.heavensfamily.org) (I think) was teaching on the sermon on the mount and it was taught in a way I had never looked at. Jesus is speaking to new converts believers and he is telling them about what the pharisee's have pushed and what the law acutally meant and was supposed to show. For example

Matt 5:27 -28 says 27 “You have heard that it was said to those of old,[a] ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[b] 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

The You have Heard it said is telling the new christians that what the temple leaders have taught them there entire life was don't commit adultury, these leaders were using a bill of divorce against there wives to be able to go after the latest cutie that went down the street. So they were lusting. So Christ is telling his people that Adultury is not just physical but visual and emotional also.

The key to this passage in relation to once saved always saved is vs 29 though

29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell

He is speaking to new converts and he says don't commit adultury or you will go to hell.

Think about it.

9:45 AM

 
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Ben McMinn, good thoughts my friend. Please add more smart card points to yourself. You deserve them! Or maybe we should start calling you Wise Old Owl?

10:21 AM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

"can one choose to walk away from Christ even after you have made the commitment to live for Him? Can you fall back into a sinful lifestyle and, as a result, in the end… fall short of being eligible for God’s grace".

Ben, this is a subject that is a hot-button for debate and has been for many MANY years.

When you get some time, dig into the theology of Calvinism versus Arminianism (I'm sure you can find it online): but these are two separate (very different) theological doctrines that speak on this very issue. Most of us modern-day Christians tend toward Arminianism which states exactly what you were saying: that we are saved by grace, but we can fall out of that grace by turning our backs on God. But where's that line? How far do we have to fall before we are no longer a child of God? It's a scary thought really, which, if we keep that in the forefront of our minds, will likely propel us into a closer relationship with Christ. (I guess that's where the whole "fear God" concept comes, in, hey?)

Great post! Definitely a thinker!

11:16 AM

 
Blogger Jenny said...

We were just talking at work today about the feeling that we're not doing enough... but just getting by and existing.

"once saved, always saved."
-I always thought this meant that nothing can separate us from God's love EXCEPT OURSELVES. I remember before I was TRULY saved, my sister in law had this argument with a friend. I didn't know enough to know that I didn't know... but now, I'd have to say that I do not believe you can live your life any old way you please and STILL be saved. I believe you have to constantly choose Him.

I am not a theologian. I can't give any words of wisdom on this topic, but thank you for bringing it up.

Praying for you and your family.

6:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home