Thursday, February 02, 2006

A smorgasbord of "indoctrination, civil discourse, and cultural relativism"

I realize this post is all over the board on different topics that have been zipping through my mind over the last couple of days... but but they were based on a single conversation with my boss so, here goes:

So let me set the stage... I am in my office and my boss comes in and sees Sean Hannity's "Let Freedom Ring" book on my desk and starts giving me a hard time. And of course he asks “if I am indoctrinating my kids with this stuff...” My response is, "Don, the only thing I have indoctrinated into my kids is my love for the Green Bay Packers." He laughs. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he is liberal and I am conservative... but then, he sees a book by Eric Alterman (who is an extreme leftist) titled "What Liberal Media?" and then somehow, suddenly, I am now "okay" in his eyes. Which my response to him is this... Don, don’t we work at a university? Is not a university setting a place where an exchange of ideas should take place so people can critically think about ideas that are foreign to them and gain knowledge through understanding all of the angles? Or is it a place where we try to indoctrinate people by presenting one side as truth so that the person is kept in the dark about certain perspectives? Personally, I think it is important to read material and watch shows and be exposed to ideologies that go against our beliefs so we give ourselves an opportunity to decide for ourselves what we truly believe. How do you know if what you believe is true if you don’t provide yourself with an opportunity to understand all of the options that are out there?

Working in a liberal university setting, I struggle with the fact that, if you have Christian beliefs and ideologies, they are immediately invalidated as ludicrous or antiquated and somehow they shouldn’t be discussed or that you lack intelligence because you have these beliefs. We live in a society of cultural relativism. Where there are no absolutes and it is offensive for a person to tell others that what they believe is wrong. The majority has a problem with Christianity because our faith is based on absolutes... according to my faith, there is right and wrong. But nobody wants to be told that they are wrong. As I was speaking with Don, our conversation on the university setting and exchange of ideas led to a discussion on the topic of homosexuality... (I have no idea how we went down this path... but it happened.) At some point in the conversation I responded with a comment that I don’t believe it is morally right. To which his response was, “well what if the person doesn’t have a choice... what if it was how they way they were born? What if they had been struggling with homosexuality all their life and suddenly they decided to quit fighting it and have decided come to the resolve that they are gay? Are you telling me this person is wrong?” My response was lengthy, but I expressed my thoughts the following way:

“I'm not sure I agree with your thoughts that they were born this way. I don’t believe that science has found evidence that people are missing a chromosome or that somehow scientists have found that the structure of DNA in a homosexual is different of that of a heterosexual... but for discussion sake, let’s say that that they were born that way. For example, from a biblical perspective, God made guys very visual sexually. So, generally speaking, we are easily tempted by the sight of a naked woman. Essentially, we were made that way according to God’s design... we were born that way. I still don't believe that this would give us the justification to give into those thoughts and desires and sleep with as many women as we want. I would suggest that, we all have different things we are tempted by... we all have our own vices... as the bible puts it, “thorns in the flesh.” I believe that homosexuality is a sin that people are tempted with... While I don’t presume to understand why the Lord allows some to struggle with the temptation of homosexuality, I don’t believe it is okay to give into these temptations either."

Don just walked away shaking his head... probably having a hard time fathoming how people could still believe the way I do.

Further thoughts on the subject:

Just because I don’t believe that it is morally right to live this lifestyle, I don’t believe that it is my place to go out and beat my beliefs into or hate people who chose this lifestyle. For that matter, we have all made wrong choices at times and I am in no position to judge someone's actions. In the same breathe, I have a right to state my beliefs and if that is offensive, well I am sorry... that is definitely not my intent... Just because my beliefs are telling you that I believe that this lifestyle is wrong does not somehow make me a bigot or uncaring... Now we could get into a debate on the definition of the word "judge" but I don't believe that telling someone that they are wrong is judgemental. My position is one of tolerance, but not acceptance. I can be friends and love a person that is struggling with this sinful lifestyle... but I can not embrace or condone their choice. I can agree to disagree and still care about a person.


Coming full circle with this thought process... it is a struggle to work in the environment that I do and, for Christians, it is a struggle to live in the world that we do because all ideas and beliefs are deemed okay except those that are based on biblical principles. My perspective is that, no matter what society chooses to believe, there are still absolutes. Everything isn’t all relative. Just because societal norms shift in a certain direction, doesn’t mean they are right. There is truth and there are absolutes... regardless of what one chooses to believe.

Anyway... talk amongst yourselves.

5 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

That's why you deserve more smart points than me. I suggest you change that immediately.

Funny how we both work in education but on the extreme opposites of the spectrum. And the sad thing is that the same arrogance and unwillingness to investigate for the point of confirming or strenghting one's resolve in thier assurance of belief in a topic seems to be on my end also.

I think you hit the bullseye with this "There is truth and there are absolutes... regardless of what one chooses to believe." The problem is that we as people are relative beings, we like to justify, reason, and skew absolutes to fit into our sense of wavering ideas that are based solely on our selfishness ambitions and desires to say whatever we choose must be right. It seems that in this world (secular and Christian) we like to define truth and absolutes on the falsity and waffling nature of man. When we place us as the center the bedrock our foundation is weak at best and at worst a gigantic faultline that errupts with shakes upon the whim of our personal preferences.

So I'm with you my SUMO intelligent and wise friend. We live in a relativistic world but are ultimately judged by a very abolute God.

I like the random train of thought.

11:20 AM

 
Blogger Charlyn said...

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about homesexuality being a sin. It is a choice, and anyone choosing to live it chooses to sin. Not that it is any different then the sin of lust or idolizing money, adultery, etc. the difference is in the person. Do you choose to repent and turn from the sin, or live in it? Can a person be blessed while living in sin? I don't believe so.

Wow, deep conversation today Ben! I'm glad we as christians can share our thoughts and concerns.

Praying for your family today. Sounds like a rough, germ filled week!

11:34 AM

 
Blogger Darnell Clayton said...

I think "PC tolerance" is over rated. People should be allowed to voice their differing opinions, and if they do not like what is going on around them, they can start a weblog and vent there.

:)

PS

Since you don't have backlinks enabled, I want to let you know that I referenced your site on Blogger Delights. Congrats!

1:14 PM

 
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Way to stand up for what you believe, Ben McMinn. It's not easy when you know your audience doesn't appreciate your beliefs. But it sounds like you backed up your reason with more than just your feelings on the subject.

I'm very proud of you.

three cheers for Ben McMinn!

3:44 PM

 
Blogger Rosa* said...

I could not have said it better myself. Apparantly there are more of us Christians out there who share your "antiquated" viewpoint than previously thought.

9:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home