Monday, May 01, 2006

Is Hacky Sack a professional sport?

Well... I am back. Did you miss me?

Friday, I took the day off and went to a youth conference with the youthgroup at our church. It was a weekend full spiritual guidance and 3 hack wack. 3 hack wack is a game of Hacky Sack and I must say that I am nothing short of impressive. I am actually relatively impressed that teens these days still like Hacky Sack. Who knew that the Lord was training me for youth all of those years in the 80's when I was playing Hacky Sack. Kids like me because I am a big goofball ...and who can't relate to someone who likes to have fun? That said, I also can make sure that I am serious at the appropriate times and keep them on the straight and narrow. Balanced would be a good word.

I am the head youth leader at our church, so I go to the conferences when they come up. It is always fun to be able to influence teens. I think the thing I enjoy most about leading youth is that you get a chance to see kids mature... not just maturing from an personality standpoint but maturing in their faith. It has been both a blessing and an encouragement for to me to see these young men and women of God move from having a faith that has been instilled by their parents to claiming it as their own. Choosing to follow the Lord because they believe it. Not just because this is what their parents believe. Pretty exciting really. And then when they come up to you and say, "Ben, I would like you to meet my wife." ... Yeah... When this happens... I have both a feeling of excitement for them and a feeling that I am OLD...

Ultimately, I think it has been fun to see how being faithful to God's calling has affected students' lives.

I give God all the Glory and am both humbled and thankful that He chooses to use me... in spite of my faults.

11 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

wait you have former youth who are married? oh gosh, that does make you old . . . . oh wait I have former youth who are now married, does that make me old? ugh

but i'm with you on the watching of maturing, both in character and in faith, always amazing to get to not only see the process but be a catalyst in it

1:10 PM

 
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I don't think any of my former youth kids are getting married YET, but it's only a matter of time.

Way to go, Ben McMinn. They'll remember you FOREVER.

1:19 PM

 
Blogger steve said...

My kids are all 3 years old... if they start getting married I am in trouble!

1:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait. did i know you were the head youth pastor? have you said that before? because i knew you worked with them, but i didn't know you were THE guy.

how do you still have a full-time job at the university? you must be so.o.o.o.o busy!

1:38 PM

 
Blogger Greg said...

Nope... not a Pastor... just a volunteer. You must remember that I am in a rural environment Jes. So there is only about 20 or so people in our youthgroup. So, it isn't too bad to manage.

1:40 PM

 
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

I'm not coordinated enough for Hacky Sack.

*Sigh*

It's not for lack of trying, though.

3:56 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

I believe Hacky is the national sport for all teenage boys. They were playing it like crazy when I was in high school and 15 years later my brother & his friends played all the time.

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Pretty impressive title there, Ben. I bet those kids just ADORE you!

I'm not so sure if hacky sack is a sport: not my call to really make. Besides, I'm a singer, so what the crap do I really know, anyway?

By the way: I loved your comment disguised as a "non-comment". Nice ;)

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Tim Rice said...

I think it's great that you work with the youth. And it is fun to see them grow. I've attended a couple of week-long denomination-wide conventions as an adult delegate but always made sure I had time to spent with my church's youth who hold their convention at the same time and location. It's been rewarding and a fun way to get to know a little more about the youth. In the past year, I have also started to help out with our church's junior youth (sixth through eighth graders). They are neat people.

6:18 PM

 
Blogger Charlyn said...

It is awesome, isn't it Ben? I recently started helping with the JV youth group at our church (6th - 8th grade) and I LOVE it! I may have found my calling. Kids this age are so much fun to be around, and are at such an important age to be building a foundation.

I can picture you being goofy. Mhm.

7:57 AM

 
Blogger Jenny said...

You were gone?

8:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home