Tuesday, June 21, 2005

OKAY! ... I admit it.

My name is Ben... and I pick my nose. Or so I have been told... (Read her discription under my link... and no I am not mad Amanda Sue... I realize that it is in jest... I think... lol.)

Face it everyone... there are somethings that we all deny at times, especially when we are around friends or strangers alike, but the truth is something that we only know. The question is: will you admit the truth when it is easier to lie? Do you pick your nose or don't you? Somehow, in our culture, it is offensive to pick that "crusty" little booger out of your nose when a regular tissue won't do the trick. (This actually brings me back to a memory in fourth grade... I was standing in line and I was, again, picking my nose and my friend Tim Bachmann said, "Are you digging for gold?" At the time, my response was of a typical fourth grade intelligence, "NOOoo.") Now? My response would be... " Yes... and more than likely, you do it on a regular basis as well."

That said, ever since that ostricizing moment, I have understood that it is not polite to pick your nose in public. So, when I am in the car, picking my nose... I look around to make sure that there are no other cars beside me... watching me pick my nose... when I am driving on a 2 lane road... I make sure the on-coming traffic is passed me before I pick my nose. But my question to people is this... is the act of picking your nose offensive... or is it the act of picking your nose and eating it that is what really bothers people? Of course, there are many sayings out there that make light of the whole ordeal... such as...

"You can pick nose, you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friend's nose." Or "Some people think it's candy but it's not."

Regardless... of the saying, regardless of what people think... people pick their noses. Of course many people reading this post right now are feigning that they are insulted.: "How dare you insinuate that I pick my nose??" Well folks, the facts are in:

"Nose picking appears to be a habit that, although it usually begins in childhood, may actually linger into adulthood. If you find that hard to believe, consider that a 1995 study of adults found that 91% picked their noses on a regular basis - and about 8% of those people reported that they eat what they pick!" (of course my immediate thought is, how many of those 83% that pick their nose were lying about eating it...)

The point is this: Stand up... be proud of the fact that you pick your nose. Okay... maybe don't stand up... but at least admit it. It is fact that 91% pick their noses. Tell me you're not one of them?

As for me, I am a reformed nose picker... from this day on, I will no longer pick my nose... (unless I have a really big crusty one stuck way in the back.)

Just so you all know...I fart too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home