Monday, February 13, 2006

I'm skeptical.

I can't help it... it is in my nature. This morning I dumped the remaining Folgers "Columbian" coffee grounds into the new container of Folgers "Classic Roast" and I couldn't tell the difference. Hmmm. This causes me to be skeptical. I would think that a "Columbian" blend would be darker than the "Classic Roast." It should look different than the grounds in the "Classic Roast." Did I really have "Columbian" flavored coffee? Is this new stuff REALLY "Classic Roast" or does Folgers just dump the same blend into EVERY container and just put a different lable on the front?

I have a hard time not being skeptical... At times, I am even skeptical with my faith. It's easy to have doubts. We are supposed to have the faith like a child when it comes to our faith... but if I am honest, I don't. I start applying reason to different passages and it causes me to doubt. For example, in Matthew chapter 17 verse 14 it says:

14 When they came to the crowd, a man approached Jesus and knelt before him. 15 "Lord, have mercy on my son," he said. "He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water. 16 I brought him to your disciples, but they could not heal him."

And I am thinking to myself... "sure" he was demon possessed... it could have been an epileptic seizure. Did he REALLY have a demon inside of him? This can be explained away with modern medicine. And of course my skepticism begins. But then Christ pulls me back immediately... you will see that in verses 17 - 20 Jesus' disciples were also struggling with doubts:

17 "O unbelieving and perverse generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me." 18 Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed from that moment. 19 Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, "Why couldn't we drive it out?" 20 He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

It's almost if He knew I was going to doubt or be skeptical and He is speaking directly to me. "Ben... why do you doubt... How long shall I put up with you? Why do you have such little faith? I tell you the truth... if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can tell mountains to move Ben. NOTHING will be impossible for you." (Of course this is my paraphrase of verses 17 through 20.) But some how... I lack faith... I can move a mountain? Pshaw. I don't believe it. It's not possible. But Jesus says it is.

Hm. It makes me think... It challenges my mind.

In the Gospel of Mark Chapter 9, this same story was told from a slightly different perspective and Jesus speaks with the father of the demon possessed boy:

21 Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?" "From childhood," he answered. 22 "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." 23 " 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes." 24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

And there is that skepticism rearing it's ugly head... as adults, it is seems impossible to have a faith like a child. The Lord promises to provide for us... at times we doubt... we worry. But, He always does. At times, He performs miracles in our presence... sends His angels to protect us from danger. But we are skeptical... we reason these occurences as mere chance or circumstance. Out of Love, He rebukes us with the words "O unbelieving and perverse generation"... but we delude ourselves into thinking He is talking to somebody else.

We.Are.Skeptical.

But I love the father's response to Jesus as Jesus questions the his faith.

It's my response as well:

Lord, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief." Give me the faith of a child and take away my skepticism. Help me believe. ... and sure enough, my skepticism begins to fade as he allows the Holy Spirit to reveal His truths to me. And I can breathe easy knowing that He hasn't given up on me and that He remains faithful.


...That said, I still think that Folgers "Columbian" blend is the same as their "Classic Roast" blend. (My skepticism hasn't completely faded.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

the last paragraph is so true (not the one about the coffee silly), but just saying that I do believe, just asking for the ability to believe, for the doubts to fade . . . the last sentence is comforting, "I can breathe easy knowing that He hasn't given up on me and that He remains faithful." because when I can't muster the faith, He already has.

Ben, you're my daily stop for laughter, encouragement, and challenges. Thanks big bro.

9:33 AM

 
Blogger Greg said...

Yeah, I am sure that the laughter came when you read the word Angles in stead of Angels.

And you didn't even point out my mistake... although I appreciate the kindness... make sure that when we get together some day and I have a "spot" of mustard, mayonaise, ketchup, pickle relish or some other condiment on my face that you point it out... So I don't look like an idiot of course. lol.

9:46 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

i wrote about faith like a child today also. must be in the air...

i need to daily pray that i would have this kind of faith! thank you for your post, ben!

9:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a power packed post. (say that three times fast!!)

2:00 PM

 
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Ahh, the questioning of the validity of the supernatural. Our modern, American minds just can't really grasp it all. I'm with ya Ben. The awesomeness of it is overwhelming.

I'm with you on the java too.

3:44 PM

 
Blogger Eddo said...

What is Foldgers? My dad drank Folgers, not Fold-gers.

And I agree with AM's comment, it sounds way smarter than what I was going to say.

And my phone number is 469-438-7490

Sorry so late in responding, I have been putting out fires all afternoon.

5:33 PM

 
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Wow. Thanks for the complement Eddo. This coming from the writer of the Day the Girl Scout Cookie Died?

7:27 AM

 
Blogger Greg said...

It's Folgers? Hm. Brb.

Just got back from reading the lable... you ARE right. Crazy. I always thought it was Foldgers.

7:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home