Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Joy of Treasures and Pearls...

I've been changing lately...

Yesterday there were a couple of posts that I read by Katie and Eddie that really summed up where I am lately. Katie's post dealt with sacrifice and Eddie's post questioned whether you would be willing to change... and in both cases I can honestly answer that I am. About 2-3 weeks ago, I made a post about realizing that I need to be in God's word so I could know Him... friends, I can honestly tell you that I have adjusted my schedule so that I am making this happen... and life is good. It's funny how life is great when we are walking beside the Lord in our daily lives... Some of the best times in my life have been when I have been in His word daily... you would think that after a while we would realize this and as a result we would walk humbly with our God, knowing that our dependence on him will be credited as righteousness. But we don't. We get busy and we forget about how great life is when we are living in accordance to His word. Many of us know we are not in his word and realize that we need the change... but never quite take the step to make a change. To encourage you who are not in his word... make the change. But actually, that is not the point of this post...

I was reading Matthew Chapter 13 this morning and two of the parables really got me thinking. They are all good and the parable of the Sower really challenges each person to evaluate what kind of soil they are and if the are not the “good soil” rich with nutrients that will produce a good crop... then change is necessary. But the two parables that really caught my eye were the following:

The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl

44 "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

45 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

The men in these parables recognized value. They knew what the kingdom of heaven was worth... they where willing to sell, or sacrifice, everything they had to obtain it. These parables don’t mean to imply that the kingdom of heaven can be purchased, or for that matter that God expects you to go out and sell all of your possessions... although, maybe He is asking some to do that. (I truly believe that the Lord blesses some people with wealth because they are faithful in using those blessings to help others.) But what these illustrations are implying is that there is wisdom in understanding that things of this world are temporary and that it is worth sacrificing EVERYTHING to be in the presence of the Lord. Serving the Lord is worth every sacrifice that you make...

I pray that God continues to change me... In the past, I believe that I have been both the rocky soil and the soil that has thorns growing on it... but I think that as we get into His word, He uses this to till the soil; this tilling action brings the rocks to the surface and removes the thorns from the field so that we can become “good soil.” I pray that, as a result, He can use me. That I would “produce a crop, one hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.” As I read this verse (Matt 13:23), I thought... what determines the size of the crop? And then it hit me. It depends on how rich the soil is. There is good soil and then there is great soil. I think the more we sacrifice and the more we depend on Him and walk in accordance to His word... if we are faithful to His commands, then we will produce crops 100 times what was sown.

Will the sacrifices we make be worth it? I place my hope in hearing God say to me, “Well done, my good and faithful servant, great is your reward.”

Being in the presence of the Lord will be all the reward we will need... and, without question, it will be worth it. And there will be joy.

"Those who have ears; let them hear."

9 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

GREAT stuff here, such an encouragement and a challenge to me. I need to check out the quality of my soil and see what type and how much of a crop I am producing.

Thanks Ben, I heard you loud and clear and it was GREAT.

9:08 AM

 
Blogger Charlyn said...

Amen my brother! Thanks for motivating me to get off the computer and get into my daily devotional.

I love it when I'm growing in the Lord, yet some times life gets in the way, and it makes it so difficult to stay committed, even though I know the benefits! I believe these are Satan's tactics, and we have to remain strong against them!

God Bless!

9:13 AM

 
Blogger amelia said...

So what I needed to hear today. Thanks, Ben.

9:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart Ben

9:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so refreshing to hear. I have been doing the exact same thing lately. There had been all this craziness and drama in my church that we left, and so I began to really just call on God. I have been reading every night and it really is powerful.

10:25 AM

 
Blogger steve said...

Although I am not a blonde woman I think I can still comment here, correct?

I wasn't sure by looking at all the other commenters.

Great stuff Ben. It is true that we KNOW life is better when we are in the Word. It is just a matter of being there that is hard for us at times.

God is good!

12:07 PM

 
Blogger Greg said...

Steve-

Suzy from FIF is not blonde... nor is Jcol... BUT I get your point... guys can comment on here... *Ahem* Eddie *ahem*

1:54 PM

 
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I'm not a blonde woman, and I comment here. Welcome to our humble abode Jubal.

Great words, thoughts, and wisdom Ben.

"Rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness". Reading your Bible will get you there!

1:54 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

we talked about different kinds of soil in sunday school last week. i think i am constantly having to weed my soil, otherwise it becomes overgrown with thorns! vigilance, people!

thank you for the motivation. your site is always thought provoking, ben!

9:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home