Friday, February 11, 2005

Why did I go THERE?

So this morning I got up to travel to Mankato to go see the Great Senator Norm Colman. He was at Minnesota State University, Mankato presenting his new legislation which focuses on the importance of international students here in the US. He seems to be on the right track and has bipartisan support for this bit of legislation. All in all, it was pretty interesting and I am glad that I went; however, it was located on MSU, Mankato's campus. I am not impressed with MSUM right now. To give to a little insight, one of my two Master's degrees was earned at MSU, Mankato and this morning I was kind of excited to step back on the campus for the first time since I earned this degree. I thought that after the meeting with Senator Coleman that I would log on and quickly check my email and then see if there were any new posts on our blog. Should be no problems with this right? Especially since I am a past graduate... right? Wrong. After the experience I had, I have resolved in my mind that I will not contribute one dime to the MSU, Mankato Alumni Foundation. I had some undergraduate student at the computer lab say as I was walking out the door, "Well, he is not paying for it." To which I turned around and said, "I paid for the computer services during 2 years of graduate school... besides that, I am not asking to use the computers everyday... just briefly while I was passing through one of my old Alma matters." To which she stated, "You're right. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything." So I went to the "Campus Hub" to see if it was possible for an alumnus to quickly use a computer in the computer center. After calling computer services, the answer was a resounding, "No." So as I was driving away from campus this is what was going through my mind: "Thanks for the money... here's your degree... don't let the door hit you in the *ss on the way out... come back and visit... we continue to want your money.... but don't expect anything from us when you do come back... and forget about using a computer when you are here." Was I being unreasonable with my request? I surely didn't think so.

My response? Think I'll just forget about MSU, Mankato entirely.

Ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home