Friday, June 02, 2006

To an undisclosed person:

When we are sitting around a table at my daughter's birthday party and I mention that I am tempted to go for seconds but that I need to watch what I am eating... it is not a invitation for you to start giving me a lecture about excercise and eating too much food and how I (and people in general) need to make this more off a priority... and that you made it a priority at the age of 26 to live a healthy lifestyle and that you can eat what ever you want because you work out... and SO on and SO ON... and yap, yap, yap...

Did you even stop to think:

1. That this was my daughter's birthday party... this was not the time to give me unwanted advice and insinuate that I am overweight and that I need to do something about it.

2. That my out of shape/overweight in-laws that were sitting across from you and how this would make them feel? ...or how uncofortable I would feel having you give me this lecture in front of them?

3. That when you say things like this that your love is perceived as conditional? Or that it is disheartning that your view of me would change to the point of distain because I am carrying a few extra pounds?

4. That I understand that you want to be in shape... and good for you... but when you make it change your lifestyle so that you go to bed at 5:30 pm and then get up at 12:30 am to walk, and lift weights and excercise.... and do your "routine" ... you have placed exercise before the woman you love... That staying fit is more important than spending time with your wife... and that this is just not right.

So when I get a lecture from you about staying fit... let me just say that there is more to life than just a healthy body... like a healthy marriage. Not only is a properly balanced diet essential, but also a properly balanced life. You are far from having this.

Finally, I didn't tell you that I just started working out... because I am not doing it for you... I am doing it for me... and my kids... and my wife. So I am around when we are older and we can enjoy the time the Lord has given to us together... not seperately like ships passing in the night... but together as a couple. Besides that, it wasn't the time or place to have that discussion.

Anyway, I am done. I am writing this here because I don't want to hurt you like you hurt me.