Thursday, August 11, 2005

Perfect Words.

Sweat drips from my brow... as my words are set in the flames. Each day it is the same thing. I work patiently, waiting until my words are the perfect color of glowing red.

Clank. Clank. Clank.

My words land on the anvil and I wield my delete key like a hammer as I work the impurities out of what will, for some (though not all)... become a work of art. Similar to the wrought iron that was taken from the fiery furnace, hammered into a flat rectangular bar and then folded over and hammered again, I repeat this process with my words. Looking for just the right angle... words that will cut... words that will have a point... words that will be sufficient. There are those who say I am the best around... a wordsmith known and visited by many. Though it matters not. I am not looking for fame or fortune. I only seek the perfect words... words that will stand the test of time... words that will hold up in that moment of truth as I stand before my Maker... Words that will not bend, words that can not be twisted. My greatest achievement will be to forge my words so perfectly, that they, like the needle of a compass forged by blacksmiths long ago... will indicate north from south. In doing so, people will rely on the steadfastness of my words... words that give direction. Until then, I am just a mere wordsmith... hammering away... striving for...

The perfect words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home