Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Disclaimer: Talk of Romantic Marriage Retreat ahead...

This weekend is the imfamous marriage retreat. Can't wait. Sydney and I always have a great time... As a result 3 of our kids were born in October... but I digress. This is a weekend that we have had for the last nine years. A group of our friends (about 12-15 couples) who are committed to maintaining a strong relationship with our spouses, all chip in and rent about 5 cabins for a weekend at a local Minnesota resort approximately 3 & 1/2 hours north of here and we hire our own speakers that will impart some wisdom on us on how we can continue to maintain a healthy marriage by keeping Christ as the focal point of our marriage. Once a year we are able to deal with issues, if we have any, and enjoy a weekend together... while also enjoying fellowship with close friends. It has proven to be worth its weight in gold and is why, I believe, that Sydney's and my marriage (She's married to me and I am married to her... so I guess "our" marriage would be appropriate here.) has remained rock solid over the last 9 years. I believe Sydney would agree.

That said, this year we have a twist... because our group has to rent these cabins for a week (even though we only use them for the weekend) Sydney and I are going to pick up Jakers, Micker Mackers, Bug Bug and Benjino from my folk's place after the weekend and then head back to one of the Cabins and stay for the rest of the week. We have friends that will be doing the same thing... and they have 4 Kids around the ages of our kids. So we are planning to join forces and have a great time... On the agenda is an indoor water park, iceskating, maybe a movie... and, in general, just enjoying our time up there as a family. All in all, it should be a great weekend/week.

Anyway, So there you have it... the secret to our success... The Lord as a solid foundation and a Marriage Retreat once a year.

10 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

I'm glad that you clarified that the water park is INDOORS, because I was a little concerned.

Also, I remember you talking about this last year, and thinking - what a great idea! I still think that. Maybe living in Minnesota isn't SO bad afterall.

11:57 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

that sounds great! i would love to find something like that. our church does a Family Campout in the spring, but we haven't gone yet. maybe next year when dillon is bigger.

have a wonderful, blessed time! :)

1:35 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Hope you have a wonderful time!!!

2:16 PM

 
Blogger Aim Claim said...

How cool... what a great thing that you do for your marriage!

2:50 PM

 
Blogger Eddo said...

I used to be envious of these little retreats, not anymore, no, I enjoy my life free from the burden of love-making and children and coupled bliss. As a Christian, I try to be Christ-like, and Christ, if I may remind you, was never married.
I also plan to do a 40 day fast pretty soon...

11:52 PM

 
Blogger Eddo said...

ha ha - enjoy your weekend.

In all honesty, the real reason I even befriended you was because of you post when you went on the retreat this time last year and you and Sydney came up with the Fear Factor game. That was 8 levels of coolness and immediately I wanted to be a couple like that.

11:53 PM

 
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I hope you have a fabulous week/end. Kudos to you for making the time and effort for a healthy marriage.

7:00 AM

 
Blogger Josefina said...

Wow! Really great weekend and week!!!!
Hope you have a really nice time...and I wish that with my husband and friends we could manage to do something like that!!!
Maybe someday!!
Thanks a lot for always stopping by my blog and making those encouraging comments!!
Best wishes to you and family!!
pd: specially Benji, just like my little brother!!

10:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh lala me me!! Sounds like a weekend of BLISS.
Have fun an denjoy getting away!

2:10 PM

 
Blogger Jenny said...

It sounds wonderful. Enjoy yourselves!!! :-)

8:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home