Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I'm still skeptical... but my skepticism is fading fast.

The phone rang last night and I never get it because it's never for me. There are advantages to that because then Sydney has to deal with all the telemarketers... although, I thought we were on the "national no call list"... Anyway... When a telemarketer calls I am always in the background looking at Sydney with a smirk quietly saying, "Ha, Ha" just loud enough for her to hear. The only problem is that every now and then Sydney says, "Let me have you talk to my husband." And then I am stuck. Well, last night the phone rang and after a few moments I hear Sydney in the other room saying, “...during the week wouldn't work.” ... I am thinking, “Ha, Ha.” And then it happens... those dreaded words: “Let me have you talk to my husband.” And I am thinking, “Great. Now I have to talk to this freakin’ loser...”

I give her the one eyebrow raised look indicating that I am not happy with her inability to get rid of this telemarketer.

“Hello?”

As I began speaking with the woman on the phone, my defenses immediately came down because of her beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding charm. It was like the voice of the Sirens in the Odyssey and I was mesmerized by her gentle voice.

She proceeded to tell me that, as a part of a promotion that they are having that they that they would like to invite us up to Breezy Point Resort for a complimentary 3 day 2 night stay at Breezy Point Resort. I am skeptical. In this day and age of email scams and tricky telemarketers, I was very cautious. Our conversation went a little like this:

Ben: “Free Weekend? What’s the catch?”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “There is no catch.”

Ben: “What do you mean there is no catch? There’s always a catch. I don’t have to sign up for a credit card?”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “Nope. No credit card sign- up.”

Ben: “We don’t have to buy siding for our house?”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “Nope. You don’t have to buy siding for your house.”

Ben: “I don’t have to agree to sign up for a free one month trial of road side service brought to me by triple AAA and Sears which I can cancel at anytime during the first month if I do not want to continue with this service?”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: *Laughter* “Nope. I don’t even know what you just said... but you don’t have to sign up for anything.”

Ben: “Why us?”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “We are inviting people from the Metro area to come up and enjoy our resort for a few days so we can increase business.”

So... after going through this for a bit, I said...

Ben: “Sure, we would love to come. Is there a specific date we need to come, or can we pick any date?” (Thinking that it was a “we can only come on a Monday thru Tuesday kind of deal.”)

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “You can come at anytime... however, if you come this weekend there are some additional promotional items we will give to you.”

Ben: “Really, like what?”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “Well, some people are choosing round trip plane tickets... some are choosing free dinner and golf at our resort.”

Ben: “Okay, we will come this weekend.”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “Perfect. We will book you for Friday and Saturday night... we will need your credit card number for confirmation; however, we will not charge the card.”

*Red flags start waving all over the place.*

Ben: “You want my credit card number? This bothers me a bit... This sounds too much like a scam. How do I know that I am not getting scammed here and that you are going to use my credit card to stay at Breezy Point Resort yourself and proceed to rack up charges and max out my card.”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: *Laughing* “Mr. ‘W’ ... I totally understand your concern and if I were in your shoes I would be concerned as well. Here is my number, you can call me back to ensure that this is not a scam. My name is Mary.”

Ben: “Okay. We will call you back.”

*Hang up.*

Ben: “Sydney, jump online and get me the number for the front desk at Breezy Point Resort.”

I called Breezy Point Resort and the receptionist answers: “It’s a beautiful day at Breezy Point Resort, how may I help you.”

Ben: “Hello. I am calling because I just received a call from a person stating that they were going to give me a free 3 day, 2 night stay at your resort. Is this for real or am I getting scammed.

Breezy Point Resort Receptionist: “Um... I don’t really know... was she calling you from Tour Promotions?”

Ben: “Good question. I have no idea.”

Breezy Point Resort Receptionist: “Well, let me transfer you to that number and you can check it out.”

Ben: “Sounds great.”

*ringing*

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “Hello?”

Ben: “Mary, hi... this is Ben. I just spoke with you... we went through the front desk to ensure this wasn’t a scam... we would love to come... here is our credit card information.”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “Sounds great! So, would you like the plane tickets or dinner and golf?”

Ben: “Where are the tickets to?”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “If you take the tickets, they are 2 round trip tickets including accommodations to: Montego Bay Jamaica, Las Vegas Nevada, Cancun Mexico or a vacation to Valley fair (amusement park) for four people.”

Ben: “Sydney, we get the following.... which do you want?”

Sydney: “JAMAICA! Let’s go there.”

Ben: “We will take the trip to Jamaica.”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “Sounds great. You will get those tickets when you come... you have a year to use them.”

Ben: “Sounds great! We will see you this weekend.”

Beautiful, innocent, sweet sounding promotional rep: “We look forward to meeting you... see you this weekend.”

Few more details... and then the phone conversation ends.

Ben: “Can you believe that we just got two free vacations for nothing?”

Sydney: “That’s crazy.”

Ben: “We need to plan our trip when Stephanie is there so we can visit her when she is in Jamaica.”

We are going to JAMAICA! How cool is that?? Stephanie, can we come visit you? How far is Montego Bay from where you will be?

We will keep you posted to let you know if this is to good to be true. I am still a little skeptical.

11 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

hmmm i would be skeptical too but sounds like it might be on the up and up . . . . Free weekend at a resort . . . Free weekend in Jamacia . . . . . I'm jealous

10:08 AM

 
Blogger Charlyn said...

I don't have a good feeling about this one Ben. It can't be true, but for your sake, I hope it is!! (Here you won something, what's your credit card number??!)

8:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it probably is true, but I predict that you'll have to sit through a high-pressure timeshare sales presentation. As long as you're prepared for that, and you can handle it, enjoy the free vacation(s)!

Several years ago, my boyfriend and I were in Florida, and we went to a timeshare presentation so we could get $10 Universal Studios theme park tickets. When we said we weren't interested, they worked and worked on us. It was kind of stressful at the time, but I was a lot younger then. Now I'd totally let it roll off my back.

Even if your experience is stressful too, at least you're getting a better deal than we got! Have fun up north!

10:40 PM

 
Blogger Real Life in South Carolina said...

I'm always skeptical about that kind of stuff, but I hope there is no catch! I hope you and Sydney have a fun weekend! Let us know how it goes!

2:23 PM

 
Blogger Josefina said...

Yes, indeed the "catch" is to give you a looong speech about the benefits of the place and how nice it would be for you to have a couple of weeks there bla bla bla...but that's the little price for a REALLY GREAT DEAL!!!! I mean JAMAICA!!! OMG!!! that's really great!!!!!
Hope you have a really nice time!!

8:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skeptics aside sounds like a blast. Let us know how it goes. A weekend without the kids...FUN FUN!!! Hope you guys get your batteries recharged!

8:52 PM

 
Blogger Jenny said...

Tried to comment yesterday but the comments were down...

Very COOL!!!!! Enjoy yourselves!!!

10:10 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

YIPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! SO fun!

Of course Montego Bay is on the exact opposite side of the island from where I'll be, but we could always meet at Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios for one of my days off!

I'll be there from September to December (of course you should probably come in November so you don't get blown away by any hurricanes that might decide to visit the island too :O )

Congratulations! (I hope it's for real! hahaha)

9:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how did i miss this before? roger and i recently got a similar call and blew it off, thinking it was a scam. now i am kicking myself.

ouch. still kicking.

2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Sharkey said I'm sure you ahd to sit through the timeshare speech.

We got caught up in it ... we didn't get a weekend away though (jerks!) but we got a $100 Home Depot gift certificate.

After the whole talk we were pretty interested in getting a time share ... but they were pressuring us into getting it right then and THERE instead of letting us sleep on it.

After we said no the sales man got very very testy - threw the stuff at us and practically shoved us out the door. He was a freak anyway - he kept telling us abou this poor financial situation - as if we were supposed to feel sorry for him and make him a commission.

It was Causeway on Gull and not Breezy Point .. but still.

I hope you guys had fun!!

7:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, did you ever get your trip? I found this blog on google. I just had a really suspicious situation at a breezy point time share presentation. My husband and I arrived at Great Escapes in Bloomington, mn, we filled out the paperwork and signed it. Then they told us that there was some mistake and we had to come back three hours later! We told them we had driven 40 miles, etc and the guy went ape! I asked for our contract back, he refused. I asked for a blank copy, he refused. I asked for his name, he refused. What the heck kind of a scam are they running? I had to call the cops to make him give me a copy

I would love to know if anyone else has experienced this kind of insanity.

8:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home