Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Hugging and Smooching

Well... it was that time of year again... time for our Annual Marriage Retreat. Sydney and I, as always, had a great time hanging out with each other and enjoying friends as well. This was our tenth year of going to this Marriage Retreat and we can honestly say that it was just as fun as the first year... although, the talent show has gone by the wayside... which we need to revive... but other than that, it was fun. Sydney and I both agree that we don’t believe that our Marriage would be as strong had we not gone to this Marriage Retreat every year. We didn’t do a whole lot... just hung out with each other and went to the sessions that were planned. One of the Sessions was centered on keeping the Presence of God in our House and in our Marriage and one was focused on the women this year and the importance of respecting their husbands. (Last year we focused on the men and the importance of loving our wives.) One comment that Joan, one of the presenters made, was that she didn’t want to let the husbands off the hook... but that it was important that women were still willing to respect their husbands even when they didn't agree with them. After the session I approached her and said... “You know, I don’t think we are wanting our wives to ‘let us off the hook’ ... I just think we just want them to give us a break from time to time. Show us that they do respect us. I think that doing what is right by our wives is something that is ingrained in us... it’s just that when, as a man, you don’t feel like your wife respects you... you figure ‘what’s the point.’ So if our wives affirm us by telling that they respect us... then, we will surpass any expectations that they may have ever had.”

Anyway, it was a good time... and our marriage is tuned up again. Ready for another 10,000 miles.

7 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I think it's funny that the title leads us to think you'll be talking about other things and then you get all serious with the respect issue. Sounds like a great retreat and some good family time. 10,000 miles a year on each retreat, sounds like a good tune-up you got there.

2:24 PM

 
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

The feminist in me has to know:

Do you respect your wife?

Sorry. Couldn’t resist. I just read the whole “men love their wives” and “women respect their husbands” thing, and was like, “Shouldn’t both do both?” In other words, shouldn’t husbands love and respect their husbands and vice versa.

It’s just a silly language thing, but sometimes I get really hung up on stuff like that. It’s obvious you and Sydney love AND respect each other, so it’s really a non issue.

I’ll just go burn my bra now.

11:07 PM

 
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

P.S. I meant "shouldn't husbands respect their WIVES and vice versa". Husbands respecting their husbands is a completely different topic all together.

11:09 PM

 
Blogger Real Life in South Carolina said...

What a great topic to discuss at a marriage retreat! I don't think most women realize how much men NEED their wives to respect them - what a difference it makes in who he is and can be. This is her way of lifting him up to conquor all that he nees to conquor!

And I don't think it's an accident that the Bible instructs men to love their wives as Christ loved the church and women to respect their husbands. We get so tied up in ourselves and everything in us wants to say, "What about them! They should respect me too, they should love me unconditionally too!" But the truth is, if we just do our part, all that falls into place, and the husband will respect his wife and the wife will love her husband. It's so hard to let go of the "You better do your part in this" and focus on "me doing the right thing" but isn't that exactly what Jesus did for us? He didn't go into any of this saying, "You better respect me first and then I'll love you unconditionally!" Okay, you get the point. I'm done ranting.

And since you got me going on this...I thought I should let you know I chose you as one of the winners for the Thinking Award. Check out my latest post to see what that means. It may be kind of cheesy, and you may not choose to participate, but I think that you totally deserve the recognition! You are a blessing!

8:49 AM

 
Blogger Greg said...

Deals-

I understand your point that we should do both and I don’t disagree with that.

I love my wife; as a result I believe that she feels respected.

She respects me; and as a result, I feel loved.

I believe that men and women are wired differently in this matter.

I do believe that women NEED love and men NEED respect. If a woman said, “I love you, but I don’t respect you.” That statement would literally crush a man’s spirit inside. If a man said to his wife, “I respect you, but I don’t love you.” That would crush a woman’s heart. If the wife said to her husband, “I respect you, but I don’t love you right now.” The husband would probably respond, “But you respect me? I can live with that... love will come.” If a man feels respected, he will act in a loving way towards his wife. If a woman feels loved, she will react in a respectful way to her husband. As a result, both will feel love and respect.

I guess my point is that, generally speaking, God made men and women different in this area. Neither is less important than the other in terms of needs... neither is wrong... we just NEED different things. Most men would choose respect over love and most women would choose love over respect.

My 2 cents.

Feel free to spend it how you wish. ;)

9:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome topic for a marriage retreat. So many ladies I know really bash their hubbies verbally. It's so sad when the guys are all broken down and not caring.

Mutual respect is fantastic.

And in the past, marriage retreats always seemed dull... but I'm changing my mind about them and thinking that perhaps hubby and I will look into it. A chance to be away together without work? What is that???

9:30 AM

 
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

Great post, Ben.
Awesome responses too.

You got it right.
I agree.

'nuff said.

2:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home