Monday, June 26, 2006

The Lake Elmo Lion's Huff-n-Puff.

I decided that I am going to run a 10K in August. August 12th, in Lake Elmo Minnesota. I have been running everyday for a little over month averaging 3 miles a day and now I am up to 5 miles a day. I have lost about 10 lbs and I am slowly slimming up. Sydney has been running and so she is also getting into shape as well. We decided to change our lifestyle and become healthier. I has been encouraging to see both of us become more fit and I have found that I have been happier lately. I have also started to lift weights which I haven't done in about 11 years and that feels good as well.

So, after feeling great after my 5 mile run yesterday, I told Sydney that I am going to run a 10K (6.5 miles) and I asked her if I found a race that also offers a 5 K (3.25 miles) would she be willing to run the 5K? And she said, "Yeah, I think I can run a 5 K..." So it is set. I downloaded the forms this morning and we are going to run a race together. I am excited and we have been a great team, and a great encouragement to each other.

So, for the first time in AGES... I am excited to be running again and I am excited to run a race. I think I might decide to do a race every couple of months. Might even work up to a half Marathon.

We'll see what happens I guess.

10 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

wow way to go

I'm impressed (not really jealous but very impressed)

9:20 AM

 
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

I'm guessing that it's not 115 degrees in Minnesota in August (like it is in Texas), huh?

Sounds like fun, though. I love participating in races. My favorite is the fall (October and November mainly) when there is a race almost every weekend. Good times!

9:45 AM

 
Blogger Jennboree said...

Way to go! It is a feeling of great accomplishment to finish such a thing as a race.

And good job on changing your lifestyle! We'll do that once my pregnancy is over. For now, I'll keep eating whatever's within reach.

9:50 AM

 
Blogger Real Life in South Carolina said...

Wow. Congratulations on the weight loss and feeling happier & healthier...it's so awesome that you two are in this together and so motivated. Isn't it nice to see your hard work paying off?

Scott and I just made the decision yesterday to get back in shape, eating healthy, etc...I won't be running a 5 K anytime soon though! ;)

12:31 PM

 
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I'm with Deals. At first I was like WHAT??? A race in AUGUST?!?! But then I remembered that you're the McMinn's and that's o.k.

That's why Deals and I ran the Too Cold to Hold together and not the Too Hot to Handle.

I use the terms "Ran Together" loosely, as I saw her at the beginning, the finish, and the back of her head after it started.

But hey, I finished a 15k, so if I can do it, I KNOW y'all can do a 10k. Way to go McMinn's!

4:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your an inspiration!!! I have been wanting to run a race for quite some time. One of those before I am 30 goals. I am currently up to running two miles every other day! I am hoping to get to four miles five times a week. We shall see. Congrats...cheering ya on!

11:19 PM

 
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

AM: I was actually thinking of the TOO HOT TO HANDLE race when I was typing my comment yesterday (except I kept wanting to call it the HOTTER THAN HELL race, instead, and I knew that wasn't right). How do people not die running that far in that kind of heat? A 5K in August...maybe. But not 15!

10:02 AM

 
Blogger steve said...

yep

i need to be inspired by this and get my butt running again

10:33 AM

 
Blogger JLR said...

Oh, great. Someone else that's running. Now I really feel like I have to start exercising.
*sigh*
I guess I should be happy for you. Yea for being healthy! Now excuse me, I have cookie dough that's calling my name.

9:14 PM

 
Blogger Charlyn said...

Good for you! It feels great when you are being "healthy", doesn't it? B and I are thinking of doing the same thing, now that he is finally on 1st shift!!!

Keep it up!

7:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home